discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Drop .OZ

Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Drop .OZ

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Drop .OZ
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 17:53:03 -0700

To put this in a bit of perspective, the t2log page can give a breakdown of every server's history.  The server for the .oz zone has a reliability of 94.28%.  This incident still leaves him ranked as #4 out of the ten tier-1 servers.

This isn't the first time life has gotten in the way of server admin duties, nor will it be the last.  The only thing that I ask of all our public server admins (*especially* the T1 folks) is to remember to contact someone from the group when you are going to have an extended absence.  Don't just expect that your server is going to work flawlessly while you are gone for a month... IT NEVER DOES!  (Mine usually break down the morning I am leaving.)

Reliability is not the issue here.  Communication is!

On 02/08/2013 04:36 PM, Martin C wrote:
> My apologies to all.
>
> A brief bit of history:
>
> When I first joined, I wasn't working and had too much free time. I did my part with OpenNIC practically full-time for a bit, then part-time once my software was made and my proposal was put forth. I also had to "borrow" a VPS as I had no money at the time and the guy gave me free reign over it.
>
> I now work full-time and accidentally let my TLD admin duties slip here and there. This was by accident. On top of that, around the start of the year, I was making some changes to my network here and setting up some internal servers so I could host email myself and a few other things. To do this, I set all emails from all lists that I am subscribed to to go to a specific spot that I hadn't migrated to my main machine yet, and as the first few weekends of this year were busy, it just kept being moved lower on the list of priorities.
>
> Then I happened to log in and saw the message from Peter. I immediately found where the emails were being directed and merged them back over to where they had always been and caught up quick smart.
>
> I have not abandoned .OZ, and hopefully the above explains why there have been outages: I've not been the one paying the bills till this point (the guy that does is very absent minded and forgets to pay his own bills a lot) and now that I _can_ be, I still wish to continue on as before, but taking on full responsibility for every aspect of it, which I was simply unable to before.
>
> I envy those who had/have permanently dedicated resources for OpenNIC to offer after all this time and tip my hat to you.
>
> If it be the will of the community, I would still like to be here and continue with .OZ. If everyone has made up their mind against it, that's unfortunate. If I had any good will stored up from my software contributions, press release writing, proposal writing, etc I'd like to draw on that before anyone here makes any permanent decisions to give .OZ the chop just yet.
>
> Once again, sorry for not being around as much and I aim to remedy that. As long as the motion is not passed, I will attain the resources I need to keep .OZ going, if it is, hopefully it is appreciated that I would not get the facilities back up and running. At the least, I will remind my friend to pay his bills so I can get a recent backup. I do have one but it's about 2 months old (everything around here stops before Christmas :P).
>
> Sorry for the long read.
>
> Martin.
>
> On 2013-02-09 04:40, Peter Green wrote:

I contacted the admin' for .oz (Martin C) the other day and he's not
abandoned the T.L.D.

I am surprised and a little sad that he hasn't jumped on this list and
cleared things up, but please don't abandon the T.L.D. .oz yet.

Peter