discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Drop .OZ

Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Drop .OZ

  • From: Jamyn Shanley <jshanley AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Drop .OZ
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 12:26:50 -0600

I still think all data (zone and user) should be synced to (at least) a central OpenNIC server on a regular basis, as a matter of policy. That way there is no data loss, the reputation of OpenNIC and the assocaited TLD doesn't rely on individual operators, and it's somewhat trivial to recover in the event of failure. The LDAP system seems like it would facilitate that quite nicely.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Simon <simon AT hacknix.net> wrote:
On 02/08/13 14:53, Aaron J. Angel wrote:

> That may be true, but there should be some sort of commitment to the
> group from the operator.  They are, after all, taking up a portion of
> our namespace to provide a service to their users.  We shouldn't have to
> put up with an operator taking up a portion of our namespace to provide
> non-functional service.

I agree. I'm not suggesting that it's completely without checks and
approvals, just playing devils advocate.

I think there needs to be a balance between control for stability's sake
and freedom and devolution of some power and responsibility from Opennic
to the TLD operator.

Simon