discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Hosting Tier-2 DNS server

Re: [opennic-discuss] Hosting Tier-2 DNS server

  • From: <kennytaylor AT runbox.com>
  • To: "discuss" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Hosting Tier-2 DNS server
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 23:34:38 -0800 (PST)

Load balancing inbound traffic is the trick. The right way to do it is BGP
routing, which requires expensive address blocks and cooperative ISPs. That
way you own a set of addresses and advertise that set to both ISPs. Pricey
and hard to get.

At the day job, we use an appliance called Fatpipe Warp. I'm not a big fan
of proprietary stuff, but it takes a neat approach. It has three WAN
interfaces and acts as the DNS server for the domain. When a client does the
DNS lookup for "www.domain.com", the query goes to both WAN IP addreses. The
DNS response has a very small TTL--10 seconds I think--and replies with only
the IP addresses of the WAN interfaces that are in an UP state. It only
works for applications accessed with a hostname, and TCP sessions break when
a WAN link goes down. But it's a neat trick:)

Kenny