discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband

  • From: "Alex M (Coyo)" <coyo AT darkdna.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Ferorum FTTH/FTTP Broadband
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 14:12:29 -0500

Not necessarily.

"Alternative Internets" exist, such as AnoNet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AnoNet

Also,

https://commotionwireless.net/get-started#connect-with-others

https://wiki.projectmeshnet.org/Getting_started#About_Project_Meshnet

There are countless others.

You may also want to check out:

http://b4rn.org.uk/about-b4rn

http://www.thephone.coop/about-us/

and

http://www.communitybroadband.com/About-Us.html

On 04/27/2013 12:55 PM, kennytaylor AT runbox.com wrote:
Agreed..  Even if a community were to build their own regional "alternate internet", it would eventually be borged by legislative and regulatory control.

From: Quinn Wood <wood.quinn.s AT gmail.com>
I want things like this to succeed, but don't think it will because the
geopolitical climate is being a bitch and taking away freedom. (Well, I
guess it has been for a long time, it's just more in our faces recently.)