discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Changes to the TLD policy?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Changes to the TLD policy?

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Changes to the TLD policy?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 16:11:35 -0700

World Wide Web
I suppose *technically* we could have a page at http://geek/ but that would not be consistent with standard web usage. http://www.geek/ looks more like a proper link, and its easy enough to just create it as a domain, plus its easy for people to remember.

What I find hilarious is the number of professional business sites that ONLY recognize the www.domain.com version of their domain, and give you a page error if you just type in domain.com! Real professional there, time to hire a real web admin.

There are several reasons for item #6, not just for backups. As I mentioned, it would be nice to have all the domain info available to all registrars. If a TLD admin just drops out of opennic, there is no guarantee that we will be able to get a copy of their data before they leave. Having a resource with multiple redundant master servers available to all registrars assures us there will be no data loss, and we will have multiple copies of ALL the data instead of having individual copies of each piece spread across the globe.