discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Changes to the TLD policy?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Changes to the TLD policy?

  • From: Quinn Wood <wood.quinn.s AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Changes to the TLD policy?
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 22:42:27 -0600

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM, Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net> wrote:
> Should we develop a policy for cleaning out our zone files?

I think so. Not that it's super important, but it would also lead to
more legitimate information about actual OpenNIC usage by hosts.

I would recommend deciding on either guidelines for TLDs or actually
incorporating rules into the OpenNIC charter- in that order- on
default lease times and expiration/renewal criteria. Gotta make sure
people can't register (for a year) and immediately pro-actively renew
it once or twice unless you intend for that to be a feature of your
TLD.

> 3) Getting back to some of the basics now... What about general contact
> emails, and a consistent way to always reach the admin of a TLD?

I suggest- le gasp!- using DNS records to store that info of course :)
I do think that the scale OpenNIC is at right now doesn't really suit
maintaining multiple inboxes, since usually one admin runs everything
for a TLD (especially if they can't have aliases on their provider.) I
think admin AT opennic.tld is a pretty easy to remember address.

Does anyone currently get spam on their OpenNIC mail addresses?

> I would instead like to submit an alternative. For all registrar pages, we
> use reg.<tld> and all TLDs are required to keep a homepage for the zone at
> www.<tld> and opennic.<tld> which contains pertinent info like links to the
> TLD charter, registration page, and the opennic homepage.

But what will happen to the authentic Australian reg.for.free? Is www.
to be the same website for all TLDs or designed by each operator?

> 5a) Some ideas for reserved names
Hrm. I think it'd be better to not allow use of generic-sounding
domains in general, but I still think reserved space should be
limited. Perhaps instead of test, example, like ICANN.

> 5b) Name length: what should we consider for the minimum number of
> characters? The maximum? Some prevent single or double-digit domain names.
> Do we want to impose a maximum length? Do we want to leave this up to the
> individual TLD admin, or create a set of rules so there is consistency
> across all TLDs?
I don't think we should bother with name length or domain format
provided they're following spec. Dealing with squatters is more work,
but allows for less of a blunt antispam device to be employed.