discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] .bit TLD / Namecoin

Re: [opennic-discuss] .bit TLD / Namecoin

  • From: "Ben Bristow" <me AT benbristow.co.uk>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] .bit TLD / Namecoin
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 22:00:58 +0100

.bit would be great for stores that support Bitcoin and other
decentralized P2P currencies. Also would be pretty good for file sharing
and general tech websites.

I give it a vote!

+1

- Ben

On Sat, 03 May 2014 19:03:57 +0100, Calum McAlinden <calum AT mcalinden.me.uk> wrote:

Supporting .bit could attract some users to OpenNIC, and also provide
additional benefits to current OpenNIC users wishing to resolve more
alt TLDs.

I understand that a benefit of Namecoin is its decentralised nature.
This would be undermined if OpenNIC supported it by "bridging" DNS,
and the Namecoin protocol, through a central tier 1 server. However,

- downloading 1.75 GB and running a client making constant use of the
internet through p2p, is not an option for some. This could be due to
the device being used, or poor internet connectivity.
- Namecoin setup normally involves users manually installing and
configuring dnsmasq locally to resolve .bit domains, which is out of
the comfort zone for most.

Could we have a vote on this? Or are people generally not interested,
in which case I'll shut up? :)

---
protection is active.