discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] .bit TLD / Namecoin

Re: [opennic-discuss] .bit TLD / Namecoin

  • From: Calum McAlinden <calum AT mcalinden.me.uk>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] .bit TLD / Namecoin
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 09:57:35 +0100

On 11 May 2014 03:02, Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net> wrote:
> One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet... do we have any actual support from
> Namecoin? In the past when we have peered with another group, it was with
> their full support. What happens if we start peering them, then someone
> from that group makes a request that we stop?

No, I guess "peering" wasn't the correct word to use. The "proper" way
access to .bit is through using a peer-to-peer application that
downloads the data about every current .bit domain (1.80 GB) locally,
it would be difficult and pointless to include OpenNIC support in
this.

> Also keep in mind that if you want full support of .bit through opennic, I
> will have to make changes to our root zone so that it is included, and we
> will have to figure out which tier-1 servers are going to carry it.

OK, that's fine. I set up a server with BIND + namecoind and
everything works fine. We can discuss the best way of implementing
Namecoin support depending on the result of the vote.

--
Calum McAlinden
http://www.mcalinden.me.uk