discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Nearest server and geolocation

Re: [opennic-discuss] Nearest server and geolocation

  • From: "Alessandro Pezzoni" <alessandro.pezzoni AT runbox.com>
  • To: "discuss" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Nearest server and geolocation
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 12:03:08 +0100 (CET)

Hey there,

For me in Italy the only service on that page giving the correct location is
EurekAPI (the third one). The location provided by DB-IP is way off (about
880km), while those provided by IPligence and IP2location are slightly off,
but close enough (about 12km and 25km, respectively).

Listing servers by location sounds like a good idea to me. You can get close
enough by looking at the list of tier 2 servers [1], though.

Best wishes,
Alessandro

[1] https://servers.opennicproject.org