discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonaharagon AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 00:14:23 -0600

Hi!

I'm a bit confused, are you in support of allowing domain registration fees?

As far as I am currently aware, domain registrations are supposed to be free according to OpenNIC policies, for both an organizational (supporting the free (libre and gratis) internet) and a common sense (why would people pay for OpenNIC domains if hardly anyone can access them (yet)) viewpoints.

But.. there is a clause in the policies that states that any policies stated in the charter CAN override OpenNIC policies if the community as a whole agrees, which as I understand it would allow you to charge for domain registrations, even in the way you describe it. So personally I believe what you propose is certainly allowed as long as the rest of the community supports it. I'd personally vote yes on the subject.

Any other members, if you believe I'm wrong on the above feel free to correct me, but it's my understanding that the ability to override OpenNIC organizational policies is allowed.

Jonah

---as an aside, I've never heard of Liberland before now but it sounds interesting, I wish you the best of luck in your petitions.