discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Important: reg.for.free, and thus .geek and .indy signups unavailable

Re: [opennic-discuss] Important: reg.for.free, and thus .geek and .indy signups unavailable

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Important: reg.for.free, and thus .geek and .indy signups unavailable
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 02:01:24 -0700

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:21 PM, Maiyannah Bishop
<maiyannah.bishop AT postactiv.com> wrote:
> Just for a little further information, if you visit reg.for.free now without
> OpenNIC, it gives "ERR_ICANN_NAME_COLLISION" in Chrome, irrespective of
> version.

This is a browser issue, not an OpenNIC issue. Google does some
rather unorthodox things (such as redirect to its search engine on
localhost queries that aren't found, or TLDs that aren't recognized).
But this isn't OpenNIC's problem. I'm not so sure we need to be making
policy and what not for browsers that do not resolve correctly. (BTW,
I see the same thing on Chrome. I rarely use Chrome given its bad
behavior.)

--Brian