discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] letit2 [.] bit blacklist

Re: [opennic-discuss] letit2 [.] bit blacklist

  • From: Wil <wil AT lesspheres.fr>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] letit2 [.] bit blacklist
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 14:57:58 +0200

I might be a little bite late on this. But just wanted to bring my 2 cents.

If I did understand right, SpamHaus sends the domains to blacklist to one or more admins, whose then update the list for the API.
When a user come to choose a DNS server, he can see in the details, if servers do or do not use a blacklist.

If I was this user, my first question would be, why and what’s in this list.
I guess that you don't stumble by chance on OpenNic. And maybe trust is the first think that I’ve in mind. Obscurancy doesn’t play well with trust and I wouldn’t like to search for 1 hour to understand the whole thing (even if I might be wrong on this).

Maybe a single page which explain everything, which also mention an up-to-date list wouldn’t heart.

I trully understand your concern about the way malware developpers could use an open list. But to be honest, I think it would be quite easy to test for example, every 5 min, if there domains are blacklist or not.
Beside, all OpenNic users should « pay » for a bunch of those guys.

I’m not a developper, but if I can do anything to put online a page that explain everything (on the wiki ?), I’m be glad to help.

Take care,
Wil.

Moment léger au hasard :
« Faites attention, la statistique est toujours la troisième forme du mensonge. » Jacques Chirac