discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] TLD Reliability Policies (Git mirrors)

Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] TLD Reliability Policies (Git mirrors)

  • From: Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281 AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] TLD Reliability Policies (Git mirrors)
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 18:06:32 -0500

Jonah Aragon wrote:
The reason I said GitHub specifically in the proposal is because we as an organization have an official GitHub account at https://github.com/opennic where things like the homepage and wiki backups are currently hosted. That is the location we will be hosting the automatic backups if this proposal is passed, and that repository (yet to be created) will be recognized as officially operated by the OpenNIC organization.

Of course people are free to clone it or create their own backups, it’s all public data, just “AXFR" the zone. But community mirrors won’t be recognized as “official” within the scope of this proposal.

Git was designed to avoid a single point of failure, and having multiple *official* mirrors, with a list on the OpenNIC website, allow us to take advantage of that.

In other words, I argue that the OpenNIC organization should officially operate more than just one Git repository. The same commits can be pushed to all of the official repositories.

-- Jacob