discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] TLD Reliability Policies (Git mirrors)

Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] TLD Reliability Policies (Git mirrors)

  • From: Rouben <rouben AT rouben.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] TLD Reliability Policies (Git mirrors)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 08:06:01 -0400

I don’t get what the fuss around Github is all about. I mean I do, but *why* is it an issue?

Git has built-in protections against modification of commit data. So if you’re paranoid enough to think Microsoft is going to mess with us by altering repo data, start signing commits. Ultimately whatever source control hosting system we use shouldn’t require us to trust the host, and git already has provisions to operate this way.

Secondly, we *should* be mirroring all *official* repos, especially with mission-critical infrastructure code, in more that one place. That’s just good practice.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter where the code is mirrored. Be it Github, Gitlab, VisualStudio.com (yes, they host git repos), BitBucket or anywhere else.

If anyone here *really* wishes to run their own clone of a git hosting system, I’d say run gitea, gogs or similar, simply because it’s lightweight (not a behemoth like Gitlab), and actually looks presentable (not like GitWeb, which is reminiscent of a GeoCities website and has limited functionality).

Just my $0.02...

Rouben

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 05:07 Philipp Schafft <lion AT lion.leolix.org> wrote:
Good morning,

On Sun, 2018-07-15 at 19:02 -0700, Jonah Aragon wrote:
> That being said... if community members set up their own publicly
> accessible automatic Git mirrors of our entire GitHub organization at
> https://github.com/opennic, and send me links, I can throw together a
> list and put them on the homepage. I'm planning an entire "community
> showcase/projects" section anyways.

What is it what makes people to commit ultimative trust into GitHub in
the first place?

That is for both their service being provided flawlessly and for them
not never interact with the content?

With best regards,

--
Philipp.