discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Thoughts on Code of Conduct (and lack thereof)

Re: [opennic-discuss] Thoughts on Code of Conduct (and lack thereof)

  • From: Rouben <rouben AT rouben.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Thoughts on Code of Conduct (and lack thereof)
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 15:25:54 -0400

I’d have to agree with Amunak, especially this part:
“There is nothing wrong about having a set of rules or recommendations [I would say “guidelines”] on how to write to the mailing list, how to behave and how to be nice to others, even if it's not actually really enforced. It still helps give some moral code that should be common to all members.”

And if some people are worried about bureaucratic fluff, check out Gentoo’s or Arch’s codes of conduct. Polar opposite to Ubuntu’s version 2.0 code of conduct, which is very “fluffy”. Gentoo and Arch keep it down to earth and practical.

While I appreciate the “wild west/IRC” approach to things, I also remember how having to GPG sign Ubuntu’s code of conduct on Launchpad a number of years back made quite the impression on me, and on a number of occasions made me reflect on what I was about to do or post.