discuss - [opennic-discuss] Thoughts on Code of Conduct (and lack thereof)

[opennic-discuss] Thoughts on Code of Conduct (and lack thereof)

  • From: Rouben <rouben AT rouben.net>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Thoughts on Code of Conduct (and lack thereof)
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 22:54:54 -0400

After trying to keep up with the recent threads and votes around what is, essentially, conduct, I kept thinking: why doesn’t OpenNIC have a code of conduct? IMO rather than introduce reactive policy proposals, wouldn’t it be best to have a code of conduct instead, and perhaps even a formal statement of purpose?

Here’s a few examples from high profile open source projects:
https://www.ubuntu.com/community/code-of-conduct

I rather like the Ubuntu one, because it is an example of an organization with a relatively mature governance structure.

The Arch code of conduct is probably the most practical with lots of details on a number of etiquette points, like quoting posts and bumping old threads.

Gentoo’s is an example of a “short and to the point” style, with pretty much two sections: acceptable and unacceptable behaviours.

Just thinking out loud here...

Rouben

--
Rouben