discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] broken https on reg.libre

Re: [opennic-discuss] broken https on reg.libre

  • From: "Walter H." <Walter.H AT mathemainzel.info>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] broken https on reg.libre
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 08:00:39 +0200
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 vhost01.ipv6help.de 4C15867A85

On 29.05.2020 20:08, Erich Eckner wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 29 May 2020, Walter H. wrote:

a workaround for solving a problem, which wouldn't exist without the parallel universe?

just the question: what was the origin goal of OpenNIC?

- free domains?

Yes, "free" like in freedom, I think. (and also gratis, as it turns out)

- something different?

- - A playground for dns-wannabe-admins like me :-)
- - Independent dns roots.

I guess not really building up a parallel universe what it is in fact ;-)

Right, if ICANN provided free (not to be confused with gratis) domains, the parallel universe would not be necessary. But since they don't (and probably never will), we are stuck with that.

can you specify a little bit more in detail/deep, what you mean here with 'free' (not with gratis) and why ICANN isn't providing domains free (not gratis)?

the argument with 'independent dns roots' is causing this 'parallel universe' and why exact is this needed?

Walter