discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Non Profit

Re: [opennic-discuss] Non Profit

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Non Profit
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:58:35 -0600

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 07:51:34AM +0000, Hanselka, Alex wrote:
> I want to open up discussions about making OpenNIC a non profit.
> What are the hold ups? Where would we register? Etc.

The more I think about this question (and I've been thinking about it
for a long time), the more I waffle between "yes" and "no".

Previously, I posted some of my reasons for "yes".

But there is some value in being decentralized, as OpenNIC currently
is. There is no single legal entity after which a government or
jackboot organzation can pursue and take down. Individuals are left
to their own devices as to how they present their servers to the
public. The organization itself can't be sued, taken to court, or
otherwise harassed.

If anything, maybe what OpenNIC needs is an OpenNIC Foundation: A
legal entity that can represent OpenNIC (if the membership choses for
it to do so), maintain funds and donations for OpenNIC operations, and
make recommendations to the membership concerning the continued
operations of OpenNIC. If the foundation was established as an
organization with advisory capacity only, it would serve no purpose to
try and bring down the foundation, as the decentralized operations of
OpenNIC would continue to thrive.

I'm also beginning to rethink my position on servers not being
anonymous. So long as servers pass the various tests thrown at them
to ensure they are resolving (and not sending out malicious query
results), who cares who owns/operates them? A bad T2 just gets
removed from the list.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the Robin had it right
the first time around. There is something to be said for a
decentralized anarchy of nameservers.

--Brian