discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Non Profit

Re: [opennic-discuss] Non Profit

  • From: Larry Brower <larry AT maxqe.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Non Profit
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 20:04:13 -0600

On 12/22/2010 04:51 PM, Peter McCann wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net> wrote:
>>
>> If anything, maybe what OpenNIC needs is an OpenNIC Foundation: A
>> legal entity that can represent OpenNIC (if the membership choses for
>> it to do so), maintain funds and donations for OpenNIC operations, and
>> make recommendations to the membership concerning the continued
>> operations of OpenNIC.
>
> If I may comment, I think what you are suggesting here is not a
> corporation but rather a charitable Trust. A Trust is a very old
> institution recognized in English common law (since the crusades,
> I believe) and it does not require any specific registration with a
> government entity. You just need to create a trust declaration,
> decide what assets to put in the trust initially, and have the initial
> set of trustees sign the document in the presence of a notary
> public.
>
> Courts do have the power to modify trust documents in certain
> cases and can sometimes remove and appoint trustees. They also
> have the power to decide whether a trust is truly a charitable entity
> (just saying so in your trust document is not enough). Charitable
> trusts have certain advantages over other kinds of trusts in that they
> can exist in perpetuity.

Perhaps OpenNIC should consult an Attorney prior to creating any type of
entity just to ensure that nothing is overlooked that could turn around
and bite the organization at a later date. As the courts are fond of
pointing out "Ignorance of the law is not an excuse"

> The ability to receive tax-deductible contributions is something that
> the IRS decides on a case by case basis. The easiest way to get
> their approval is by chartering a 501c3 corporation but then you get
> yourself under government jurisdiction right from the start.

We could always consult a Tax Attorney or just outright as the IRS. Not
to mention the Organization could be chartered in a different
jurisdiction that has more lenient taxation laws.

>> I'm also beginning to rethink my position on servers not being
>> anonymous. So long as servers pass the various tests thrown at them
>> to ensure they are resolving (and not sending out malicious query
>> results), who cares who owns/operates them? A bad T2 just gets
>> removed from the list.
>
> I think you are coming up against the fundamental tension between
> privacy and accountability that will come up again and again. Personally,
> I think that people should be findable if they misbehave, but you need
> an organization that will stand up and protect the anonymity of its members
> when needed.

There definitely should be accountability. And as the EFF has pointed
out there should be a clearly defined data retention and destruction
policy in effect.