discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

  • From: Bryon Eldridge <barkerjr AT barkerjr.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:40:51 -0700

I would like to see the website converted to static HTML. Static HTML
loads fast and gives the users a better experience. It's critical
that OpenDNS provide a fast website, since it is an infrastructure
provider. It is not critical that we have any sort of user login,
since our target audience, new users, will not be interested in
registering.

Regarding the negativity towards forums, most of the problems can be
resolved by using the RSS feeds we already have. You can subscribe to
the RSS feed and get notified of every post. If you don't want to
install an RSS client, just use Google Reader. I would argue that for
RSS users, the forum is much more usable than this mailing list.

Regarding IRC logs, I don't want to see them within reach of Google or
Archive.org. Stuff we discuss in IRC is not on-the-record and IRC
should be kept casual. Anything that would be useful to others should
be put on the wiki.