discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

  • From: Zach Gibbens <infocop411 AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 18:54:36 -0500

Our site is already more static than OpenDNS, and idk why people keep
comparing us to them, as if we've got to improve someting. I left
OpenDNS for OpenNIC, due to issues, if you take a look at their site,
it's a ton of client side scripting (namely javascript) which I
disable on my setups, my browser does caching, as does my http
proxies, we do have a reason for having dynamic content, things do
change, but we don't stick ads on there that do cache busting, we
rarely change any images, and we don't overly depend on client side
scripting, over 20kbps celluar our page loads in less than a second.

it is critical we have a user login, for our votes, but having that
login on the homepage, compared to a separate page like on the wiki,
might be something to consider as a change.

I can see the appeal on keeping the forums, all the spammers love it,
they seem to ignore the list.
My RSS feeds already give me a sense of information overload, and none
of them have any spam in them.

if our forum had some good controls for spam, which is always a losing
battle, I could see checking it more than the twice a month I'm
currently doing, but I check this list at least once a day, and
replies get there, I'm not limited to a post every 5 minutes, and the
spam controls work. RSS feeds don't fix the forums actual issues