discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Seized poker domains

Re: [opennic-discuss] Seized poker domains

  • From: Zach Gibbens <infocop411 AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Seized poker domains
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:38:26 -0400

One irony right now is the backing of censorship resistant technologies by Governments, some tools are created by the Governments too, and at the same time, one Government is Seizing Domain Names like Crazy and Violating Due Process.

three goals I see for OpenNIC are 1) Focus on our Features, if we're just like everyone else, why switch 2) spread Open Source Products capabible of ones needs, and in the process advocate opennic where applicable, and look for features that further benifit and expand the opennic community 3) Maintain Current services, and expand into negelected areas (South America sounds like a top priority here)

An issue for enabling dns servers for the masses outside of.. the isp is firewalling, wether that be ISP based (satellite and celluar seem to be consistant ones that do restrict dns to their servers without some workaround) Hotspots with capitive portals, schools with proxy or dns based content filters. I don't see an operating system shipping a resolver with servers already included. Has that ever been done?

I think a few things we have going for us are our features, OpenDNS (as much as I hate comparing us to them or Google Public DNS, due to our differences, feel like I need to here) had handled 30 Billion Queries in a single day on March 1st 2011, just by marketing their services, Consumers and Bussinesses Migrated to them.

Large Bussiness & Universities have used OpenDNS, From McKee Foods Corporation (Makers of Little Debbie Products) PennState & Detroit Public Schools, BP and the Serria Club, Two Hawaiian ISP's (This one really Suprised me, of the entire list) For fear of moving off my topic, take a look at http://www.opendns.com/customers/featured/ if you desire.

I took a look at a savings calculator, http://www.opendns.com/switch/ comparing it against a small bussiness or high school, it showed a savings of 10 Grand, however If I factored in systems that have to be left in place, firewalls and such, and IT costs relating to maintaing those firewalls and workstations, then comparing McAfee SmartFilter to a box running Linux with Squid Proxy, Bind, and Dansguardian installed, it would be an even greater savings, removing additonal licensing costs, reusing hardware already on-site, and it could support OpenNIC (and again, no license cost, compared to OpenDNS's Enterprise Plans. Distrubited & Redundant Servers, and other features and benifits)

What does OpenDNS have that outweighs this pricepoint? What Features do we have that Google Public DNS lacks? I think everyone here uses OpenNIC and has answered these questions at least before, DNS is a system that is ignored by the masses until it breaks, I think what needs to happen is encourage people not to ignore such a vital peice of the internet's backbone, and in doing so, show them why we're woth noticing too.

I think one feature nobody in the commercial sector (Esp. here in the US) will touch is the idea of Protected Domain Names, Despite the fact the Constutional Right to Due Process should allow just that, at least till the owner has his day in court to fight it, it's one feature we're already equipped to handle, and it's one of the best ones that nobody has implemented yet.