discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Beginning test to reclaim confiscated domains

Re: [opennic-discuss] Beginning test to reclaim confiscated domains

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Beginning test to reclaim confiscated domains
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:08:59 -0600

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 05:42:06PM -0700, Jeff Taylor wrote:
> Of course, the other big target seems to be the counterfeit item
> sites. I personally could care less if I'm unable to find an
> imitation handbag, but if there is some genuine interest in
> regaining these sites, I'm certainly not going to reject the
> requests out of personal indifference.

Seems to me that we need to be somewhat careful here. If we are seen
as "safe harbor" for every site that gets its DNS records pulled, we
could put our T1/T2 operators at risk. It might be a bit premature to
be talking about this without exploring ways to mitigate the risk of
individual admins.

That said, we should revisit the idea of incorporating OpenNIC and
having T1/T2 operations operate under the OpenNIC "umbrella." Short
of this discussion, I'm really not all that hot to deal with another
visit from the men in black...

--Brian