discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Threat

Re: [opennic-discuss] Threat

  • From: "Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet)" <nd AT syndicat.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org,discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Threat
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:23:25 +0100

Amrit Panesar <apanesar AT 4195tech.com> schrieb:

>I think we should come up with some propaganda that appeals to the mind
>of Anonymous and advertises the OpenNIC root as being the `only
>working`
>DNS root running on that day. If we play our cards right, I believe
>this
>could be the beginning of a global reform, moving away from the old and
>into the new realm of freedom and lack of need from ICANN and Verisign.

...but this is the half of the true strory. If OpenNIC will really get an
widely spread alternative to the current system it will be a target for the
anonymous terrorists too. Anonymous makes irrational terror against anything
they can reach and is large enough to be widely public and small enough by
technics to get it DDOSed down. The affected users are typically end users or
at least not the one they want to "protest against" - thus are not hackers,
they are studpid and largemouthy terrorists everytime using the same security
hole of the whole internet - which OpenNIC is affected from too btw...

Shure, Anonymous got's well known in the public by hitchiking on the
wikileaks (without there interest!) publissity and damaged even WLs
reputation. Shure, OpenNIC may go the same way as Anonymous now by hitchikin
on them, but i would not recommend this in any way.

Yes, it makes sense to have (multiple/many) different DNS root authories like
OpenNIC and thus could be communicated even in relation to the Anonymous DNS
DDOS, but just as an example why "one is not enough", but not as "the
alternative" which is "not affected", this is not true at the end of the
days...

If OpenNIC want to be/get a really reliable, responsible alternative (one of
muultiple in the future) it should leave on its own and true facts only, but
far enough from the "IT Al Quaeda" of the self employed "politicall corrects"
and "good peoples".

Just my two cents here...

cheers,

Niels.