discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] DDOS

Re: [opennic-discuss] DDOS

  • From: opennic AT lewman.us
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] DDOS
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 16:31:56 -0400

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:32:54 -0500
Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org> wrote:
> I've been hit hard myself. This can be a dealbreaker with some
> host providers, so we probably need to figure out a way to deal with
> this quickly. My ISP is being very tolerant about this, and have been
> blocking those IP addresses that Jeff listed in his email. But I'm
> sure that patience will wear thin if it continues.

I suggest you talk to them now about how to mitigate the DDoS attacks
on their end and with their upstream provider. Setting a pro-active
precedent before zero hour will make everyone happy and they will be
more willing to work with you when the next attack begins.

If it's not dns, then it's http, or smtp, or imap, or any other
protocol on the Internet. Blaming the victim is not good for business.

--
Andrew
pgp 0x6B4D6475