discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] DDOS

Re: [opennic-discuss] DDOS

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] DDOS
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 23:50:50 -0500

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 04:31:56PM -0400, opennic AT lewman.us wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:32:54 -0500
> Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org> wrote:
> > I've been hit hard myself. This can be a dealbreaker with some
> > host providers, so we probably need to figure out a way to deal with
> > this quickly. My ISP is being very tolerant about this, and have been
> > blocking those IP addresses that Jeff listed in his email. But I'm
> > sure that patience will wear thin if it continues.
>
> I suggest you talk to them now about how to mitigate the DDoS attacks
> on their end and with their upstream provider. Setting a pro-active
> precedent before zero hour will make everyone happy and they will be
> more willing to work with you when the next attack begins.

I think you misread my message. My ISP is *very* proactive, and the
owner fully endorses what I'm using their bandwidth for...I've been
with them for several years now. That said, I believe it's my
obligation to make efficient use of the bandwidth I've been allocated
(at this point, all that I've needed) and therefore I believe it's
important to figure out a way to mitigate these attacks.

> If it's not dns, then it's http, or smtp, or imap, or any other
> protocol on the Internet. Blaming the victim is not good for business.

Nobody blamed anybody. You really need to re-read my post.

--Brian

--
OpenNIC (the sequel) co-founder and wikimaster
IRC: Freenode.net channel #opennic