discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] What Does OpenNIC Do?

Re: [opennic-discuss] What Does OpenNIC Do?

  • From: "Aaron J. Angel" <thatoneguy AT aaronjangel.us>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] What Does OpenNIC Do?
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 16:34:36 -0500

On 12/06/2012 11:51 AM, mike wrote:

I don't know, but when I read:

"OpenNIC (a.k.a. “The OpenNIC Project”) is an organization of
dedicated volunteers who run an alternative DNS network."

[snip]
Secondly, even if they do understand the concept of DNS, from this
statement, how can they determine what it's going to do for them, or
if it even applies to them at all?

I agree.  This statement doesn't convey the answer to a key question:  "Why?"  It isn't answered effectively on the front page.  Folks visiting it ought to be able to read our reasoning behind the need for (yet another) alternative root.

The best answer to that question that I can find on the website is in the charter, under "Mission":

 - To encourage the establishment of non-revenue-generating domain hierarchies in order to ensure continued freedom of access to the Internet.

That statement could be polished a bit more, I'm sure, but I think it expresses the original goal behind OpenNIC.

Speaking of the charter, the organization section is a bit of fluff.  By providing that decisions are made by a democratically elected administrator, the rest of the organization is not democratically governed.  Only the election of said administrator is democratic.