discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD minimum operational requirements.

Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD minimum operational requirements.

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD minimum operational requirements.
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 16:15:46 -0700

It is *not* a requirement that a TLD operator also run a T2 server, however I think in this case the point is that the operator can show they have some experience with running a DNS service, and more importantly, can show that they have experience with OpenNic operations and they are not completely lost when it comes to how to set up a simple connection to our other servers.

Its great that people join the project with big ideas and lots of enthusiasm, but if you are going to commit to running a TLD, we want to know that you are going to be around for the long-haul.  Honestly I don't see any problem with asking that a person be with the group and running a basic T2 server for at least 6 months before considering letting them run a T1 server.

On 02/07/2013 02:13 AM, Simon wrote:
On 02/07/13 01:29, mike wrote:

> I don't think it would be unreasonable, for instance, to ask that
> a potential TLD host operator to have demonstrated T2 uptime > %x
> over a 'y' month period, prior to even putting the TLD to a vote,
> or something along those lines. In other words, demonstrate some
> stability prior to getting everybody all stirred up over a new TLD
> in the first place.

This presumes that a TLD operator must also run a T2. I didn't think
this was a requirement. Indeed, it is perfectly possible and I think
acceptable for an operator to make a decision that they can run a
stable TLD/T1 but not a T2.

Simon