discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD minimum operational requirements.

Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD minimum operational requirements.

  • From: Simon <simon AT hacknix.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD minimum operational requirements.
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 12:16:10 +0000

My point was not that people should not prove their committment and skills but that some may be restricted in being able to run a t2 by bandwidth, local legislation and T&c issues with their provider.

Contributing to Opennic is voluntary and restriction on running a T1 based in whether an individual can run a T2 could impinge on the very freedoms Opennic is trying to protect.

For example, I have adequate infrastructure, bandwidth and skills to run a T1 service but my provider specifically prohibits recursive, public access dns servers but not authoritative, non-recursive servers.

This type of policy is becoming increasingly common and I feel it unfair to allow only one method of proving committment. I feel that there should be both flexibilty and a range of ways in which the community can judge committment and skill.

Simon