discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] ShofarDomain's rootless domain system

Re: [opennic-discuss] ShofarDomain's rootless domain system

  • From: Kenny Taylor <kennytaylor AT runbox.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] ShofarDomain's rootless domain system
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 10:06:38 -0700

So each user has an RSA key pair. Use the blockchain model, where each
block is signed using an RSA key. The block may be a DNS record or a
up/down vote referencing a domain or a renewal notice referencing an existing
domain.

Each user could choose which public keys to trust. So you could have some
organizations like EFF, Telecomix, etc. who publish up/down vote lists. That
would create a semi-centralized model based on trust.

Clients would consider a domain expired if no renewal block was submitted
within a given timeframe. The renewal block would need to be signed by the
private key that generated the original domain record.

DNS records (A, CNAME, etc) could be published to the blockchain and
considered valid if signed by the private key of the corresponding domain
record.

- - Squatters could be down voted to oblivian
- - Domains expire unless explicitly renewed (no permanently lost domains due
to private key loss)
- - No cost involved, upfront or ongoing
- - Trust model that can be delegated to trusted organizations it individuals
(I.e. I trust any votes made by the EFF). Greatly simplifies the end-user
experience.
- - Trusted up/down voters would not have to be a legal entity that can be
sued or coerced. All that is required is an RSA key pair.

Quinn Wood <wood.quinn.s AT gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 12:20 AM, Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
>wrote:
>> The way I see it, you wouldn't necessarily need a web-of-trust model,
>> although it might be more reliable.
>>

>> For storing the records, it wouldn't really be that much different
>that
>> what we have now -- using standard zone files -- there would just be
>> lot more of them, or there could be a single large file containing
>the
>> pointers to all the domains.
>>

>I had posed a question in IRC a while back about mirroring the entire
>root zone. I was actually trying to examine the worth of a PGP WoT
>like DNS system.
>
>The idea was to use it as a secondary DNS server, using some kind of
>local caching nameserver. Instead of just caching though, the rough
>goal was to go through a bit of a flow:
>
>< Use WoT Data? >
> |
> Yes
> |
>< Record Found? > -- Yes -- ( Request vote: Correct Record/Incorrect
>Record, if enabled in user settings) -- Return Record
> |
> No
> |
>< Use Legacy Data? > -- No -- Return NXDOMAIN
> |
> Yes
> |
>< Record Found? > -- No -- Return NXDOMAIN
> |
> Yes -- ( Request vote: Update Record, if enabled in user
>settings) -- Return Record
>

>The primary two problems I faced with the idea (other than simply not
>knowing how to approach it technically) where the voting mechanism and
>the data storage. A blockchain based system like Namecoin, I feel,
>could come extremely close to solving both problems, but it wouldn't
>be a web of trust. I thought, and still think, a democratic function
>in at least so far as consensus tracking is a precondition to an open
>name resolution infrastructure.
>

>--------
>You are a member of the OpenNIC Discuss list.
>You may unsubscribe by emailing
>discuss-unsubscribe AT lists.opennicproject.org

- --