discuss - RE: [opennic-discuss] ShofarDomain's rootless domain system

RE: [opennic-discuss] ShofarDomain's rootless domain system

  • From: "John Kozlowski \(ShofarDomain.com\)" <John.Kozlowski AT ShofarDomain.com>
  • To: <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: RE: [opennic-discuss] ShofarDomain's rootless domain system
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 13:30:51 -0400

For ShofarDomain’s rootless implementation the following design goals are in place:

1.       The DNS resolver must return standard records.

2.       It must work with any TLD irrespective of how that TLD is implemented.

3.       It must work with ICANN, alternative roots, and ShofarDomain’s rootless TLDs.

ShofarDomain’s DNS diagnostic tools (http://ShofarDomain.com/@Net,DNS), domain browser (http://ShofarDomain.com/@Domain), and the DNS resolvers (http://ShofarDomain.com/DNS_Setup) are operational.  Granted there are numerous clumsiness issues, and a few bugs to resolve, but you can see that the concepts are sound and functional.

Interesting irony is that a current bug is preventing correctly resolving bing.com.  I can hear both the cheers and the laments.

ICANN is not going to disappear in the next few weeks.  Simply trying to displace them, as others have done in the past, is not rational.  It is better to be cooperative and therefore our resolver queries them.  Applying that same mentality to the various alternative roots, the objective is to be cooperative, and therefore you can see the list of roots that are resolved (http://ShofarDomain.com/@Domain?Filter=Root).  We resolve our rootless TLDs which uses a different data structure than the others, but returns standard results.

It is this ability to implement a TLD differently is important.  The Namecoin method has merit and we need to be open to derivations of that.  ICANN or alternatives using the established rooted technique should have an equal footing on the table.

It is the resolver that makes this work.  We don’t start by simply looking at one ICANN sanctioned root, but all roots as well as rootless.  This is a simple matter to implement, but will be fought by ICANN.

It should also be noted that the first query for a given TLD with our resolver may seem inefficient as it queries all of the roots.  However, this allow us to resolve everything and opens the door to assessment tools.  For example you can see that NameSpace’s B root returns NS records in both the answer and authority sections for “UK” (http://shofardomain.com/@Domain,UK).

There are those who will continue with the rental model that we see with ICANN since this is a multi-billion dollar business.  There is the other extreme of free domains with or without the renewal requirement.  In our case we are developing a one-time fee model.

John Kozlowski

ShofarDomain™

http://ShofarDomain.com

Phone: +1 (423) 716-6432