discuss - [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC whois service

[opennic-discuss] OpenNIC whois service

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: OpenNIC discussion <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC whois service
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 14:14:34 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx2.sourpuss.net D35452D414

We've had a few attempts at a whois service over the years, but with the recent move to storing a large number of domains in a central location, I thought I would try setting up a catch-all service for us. I temporarily set up a service on the API server to test the new code. Eventually I will move it to whois.opennic.glue.

# whois -h ipv4.api.opennicproject.org <domain>

The output is based on http://wiki.opennicproject.org/WHOIS_Policy however is does not match exactly. This service currently works with domains from dyn/free/fur/geek/indy/oss/parody/pirate. If anyone running one of the other TLDs has a whois service in place, I can add an entry to do lookups there as well. The same applies for TLDs that we are peering with. This will also perform lookups on ICANN domains. I found a source that tries to maintain a current list of whois servers for each TLD, however if you do happen to find a TLD that doesn't resolve, let me know and I'll see if I can find another source for them.

We've seen one problem with this -- the whois command does not work with IPv6 (thus forcing the ipv4 address above). The solution is simple, the final whois.opennic.glue address will only have an IPv4 address.

Please let me know if you run into any other issues with this service. Once everything appears to be working correctly, I'll move the code to one of the NS0 servers.