discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC whois service

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC whois service

  • From: Tim Groeneveld <tim AT timg.ws>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC whois service
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:35:41 +1100

Just as a side note, the Apple whois client actually checks
DNS to find out what the whois server when it's not hard coded in the client.

/*
* If no host or country is specified determine the top level domain
* from the query. If the TLD is a number, query ARIN. Otherwise,
use
* TLD.whois-server.net. If the domain does not contain '.', fall
* back to NICHOST.
*/
if (host == NULL && country == NULL) {
use_qnichost = 1;
host = NICHOST;
if (!(flags & WHOIS_QUICK))
flags |= WHOIS_RECURSE;
}
while (argc-- > 0) {
if (country != NULL) {
s_asprintf(&qnichost, "%s%s", country, QNICHOST_TAIL);
whois(*argv, qnichost, flags);
} else if (use_qnichost)
if ((qnichost = choose_server(*argv)) != NULL)
whois(*argv, qnichost, flags);
if (qnichost == NULL)
whois(*argv, host, flags);
free(qnichost);
qnichost = NULL;
argv++;
}
exit(0);

http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/adv_cmds/adv_cmds-149/whois/whois.c

Should we consider adding zones for TLDs under QNICHOST_TAIL
(".whois-servers.net")

ie, add a zone for fur.whois-servers.net so that the whois client
will "magically" work for opennic tlds?

It could be considered spoofing, I suppose, but it's not necessarily bad.

---- On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:31:47 +1100 Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
wrote ----