discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC whois service

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC whois service

  • From: Philipp Schafft <lion AT lion.leolix.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC whois service
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 07:10:55 +0000

Good morning (again :),

On Tue, 2015-11-24 at 10:35 +1100, Tim Groeneveld wrote:
> Just as a side note, the Apple whois client actually checks
> DNS to find out what the whois server when it's not hard coded in the
> client.

Most do. But the zone is getting obsolete kind of (I think the
discussion was on OpenBSD's tech@).

> Should we consider adding zones for TLDs under QNICHOST_TAIL
> (".whois-servers.net")
>
> ie, add a zone for fur.whois-servers.net so that the whois client
> will "magically" work for opennic tlds?
>
> It could be considered spoofing, I suppose, but it's not necessarily bad.

It is spoofing. It will break net neutrality. It may break technical
stuff as well.

Why don't you try to ask them about it? There is that nice RFC that
mandates alt roots that were discussed long ago on this list and that
seems to got forgotten by most people on here. There is nothing to loose
when asking them. :)

Also: they don't even hold records for all ICANN domains. ;)

Little side note: If OpenNIC would go for it I will bring it up to the
board of FurNIC and Fellig e.V. (which is the umbrella organisation
under wich FurNIC operates). This may lead to decommissioning our T1
server.

--
Philipp.
(Rah of PH2)