discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN now has a .free gTLD

Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN now has a .free gTLD

  • From: Niles Rogoff <nilesrogoff AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN now has a .free gTLD
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 21:23:03 -0500

>So in all reality, I'm more leaning to what Brian said, earlier.  We
>simply ignore the Amazon acquisition and continue using .free as part of
>OpenNIC.  I certainly can't see it having any conflict until ... or
>if ... Amazon actually uses it in any functional way.

Honestly this is the worst thing we can do. It's one thing to let ICANN win, assume the position, and either drop our .free domains or rename it to something else like .libre. Obviously that's not the optimal solution, and it's not the favorite solution, but it is a solution. Sitting back, pretending the problem doesn't exist, and hoping it will go away, just because amazon hasn't registered anything yet, is not a solution.