discuss - [opennic-discuss] peering with FreeNIC

[opennic-discuss] peering with FreeNIC

  • From: Angélica Luna <luz AT freenic.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] peering with FreeNIC
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 19:36:23 +0000

Hello all,

I'm one of the founding members of FreeNIC http://freenic.org/ a totally free and open root that resolves all OpenNIC TLDs and most ICANN ones in addition to TLDs chosen without rules or regulations by anyone who wishes to join. Our TLDs are mainly for personal use; we don't require second-level registration to be available. All members have equal status as we have no leadership. I'm proposing a partial peering agreement, as explained below.

Because we have no rules, there's nothing stopping conflicting TLDs from being registered. We currently have .radio and .smart, which have been registered in the ICANN root. The ICANN .radio and .smart have been deleted from our root zone. Shdwdrgn is in the process of designing a filter that would prevent OpenNIC from resolving FreeNIC TLDs that conflict with OpenNIC or ICANN should this peering agreement be accepted. Peering wouldn't take place until the filter has been implemented.

Please discuss and vote.