discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] This is my %#$ rant

Re: [opennic-discuss] This is my %#$ rant

  • From: <rouben AT rouben.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] This is my %#$ rant

Hi Jeff,

I hope you're feeling better! Just caught up to this thread... Just wanted to
add in my $0.02:

1. Github.com sounds like a good idea. Don't think it's going away or at risk
of getting compromised like SourceForge. For the record, SF did get
compromised very badly, they were literally serving up spyware/malware
prepackaged with all downloads. Terrible stuff. They barely recovered from
that, and even that's questionable.

2. Gitlab.com also provides free hosting services - we can mirror there too.

3. We should also look into automated build testing and release management.
Have a dev environment, a beta (test) environment, and a production
environment. All the proper stuff. :)

4. As an open source/non-profit organization, OpenNIC can leverage a ton of
free services to implement the above - no need to reinvent the bicycle.
Instead we should focus on what's core to OpenNIC.

As stated by many others, I'd be happy to help. I'm fairly knowledgeable in
PHP and bash myself, and somewhat of a git aficionado, actually... have over a
decade of experience working with developers (was devopsing before devops was
a thing), and currently working in IT as well at a major Canadian university.

Cheers!

Rouben