discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Vote to keep or drop peering with NameCoin

Re: [opennic-discuss] Vote to keep or drop peering with NameCoin

  • From: 'smee <overthefalls AT opengroupware.ch>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Vote to keep or drop peering with NameCoin
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 00:00:50 -0600

Of course it makes sense for network admins anywhere to block sites or
domains based on various possible criteria, but that is a totally
different thing than a dns provider (especially one with 'open' in it's
name) implementing a censorship program.

I don't like malware distributors or other bad players any better than
anyone else. But if we're blocking malware, a solid case could be made
for blocking microsoft, google, etc. Who makes the decision what to
block, and where does it stop?

Personally on my own network, where these decisions should be made, I
choose who to trust and who not to trust, and I configure my firewall
and dns settings accordingly.