discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Tier2 naming scheme...

Re: [opennic-discuss] Tier2 naming scheme...

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Tier2 naming scheme...
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 21:47:57 -0700

I know I've been asked this question countless times, and I know I've mentioned it on IRC, but for the life of me, I can't recall any explanation other than "that's just the way we've always done it"...

If this is so, it makes me wonder if the first IPv6 address was given a new hostname simply because the person adding it didn't realize that both types of records can point to the same hostname. We've got a lot of folks setting up tunnels in the past couple years, and I expect that in the next couple years we will see a move towards ISPs providing native IPv6 addressing, so this is something that really should be resolved now, so we can get a policy posted to answer further questions...