discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Tier2 naming scheme...

Re: [opennic-discuss] Tier2 naming scheme...

  • From: Zach Gibbens <infocop411 AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Tier2 naming scheme...
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 07:02:16 -0500

I carried on that "mistake" at first just cause it's how we did it, and
asked some of this myself, but actually there is two good side effects,
first of which, at least once since I took over, an ipv6 route became
unavailable, due to a routing issue, which meant we temporally removed
it, as part of the temporary outage procedure, same box also served as a
tier 2 with ipv4 on a slightly differing route, benefit one was we were
more selective in identifying the outage, his server still received
queries and still resolved them, for ipv4.

the second benefit is due to how we spotted the error, it was
immediately clear that the issue lied in the routing of ipv6, not bind9
(or another daemon)

both of these points aided in reducing downtime for a server, by giving
accurate reports of the issue, with as much detail as could be gathered.

given the current setup, this does wind up having some benifits, for
little if any downside (a larger zone file at worst)

I do like your idea of ns{n}.ipv{n}.{CC}.dns.opennic.glue, I'd be
willing to implement that if nobody's opposed (if I may make a
suggestion on it, how about just nsX.{CC}.dns.opennic.glue, unless the
same server has a dual stack, then nsX.ipv4 and nsX.ipv6, that should
help keep them paired, a little more visual aid)

so idk if that was a mistake, as Jeff suggested, it may have been, but
it's proven to be a useful one in diagnosing an issue at least once, and
as ipv6 continues to build up steam, might be all the more reason to
continue.

Just my two pence