discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Your article on DNS

Re: [opennic-discuss] Your article on DNS

  • From: Boily Gérald <boily.gerald AT free.fr>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org, jdemarchi AT iseek.com.au
  • Cc: sageserge AT gmail.com, lauren AT vortex.com
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Your article on DNS
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:59:39 +0200

Hi,

the Dot-BIT project (http://dot-bit.org) is filling the gap by providing
a p2p and signed system to manage domains. The system is currently
usable and used by a small community, even if still young. It is
somewhat a successor of the Dot-P2P project (managed by different people).

Here is the list of currently registered domains (2643) :
=> http://namecoin.bitcoin-contact.org/q/domainlist.txt
There is a lot of domain registered and not used, a lot of domain
configured to redirect to others ICANN domains and some hosted domains.

Here is a script released to convert the DB to bind zones :
=> https://github.com/khalahan/NamecoinToBind
And a small socks proxy to read data directly from DB :
=> https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin/tree/master/client

Here is my own registration website : http://register.dot-bit.org/ (You
pay for the services here).
A domain directly registered with the software will cost almost nothing
to you : http://dot-bit.org/tools/domainCost.php /
http://dot-bit.org/tools/domainCost.php?block=50000.
There is a minimal cost to avoid too much "spam" as the system is open :
this cost doesn't go to somebody, it is lost.

Feel free to help and join us :)

--
Gérald