discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC web hosting

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC web hosting

  • From: Futuro <evan AT cs.umn.edu>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC web hosting
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 18:51:06 -0600

I definitely think they are, since having your own e-mail address
(i.e. you AT yourdomain.geek, or what have you) is really cool. One of
the issues with opennic that I've pondered for a while is how to make
it possible for people with icann only resolvers to resolve opennic
domains when they aren't in a position to alter their machines
resolv.conf file (or equivalent).

For example, with mail, if you had a forwarding service that could
accept addresses such as "futuro AT opennic.tld"@icann.tld, then I could
give people that mail address and the server on icann.tld would strip
out the address futuro AT opennic.tld and send the mail to me.

I haven't hashed out all of the details for this specific option, but
I think that services like it are really useful for adoption of
opennic. It spreads the word while also showing off the useful nature
of the project.

- -Futuro