discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

  • From: "Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet)" <nd AT syndicat.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 07:04:04 +0100

Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net> schrieb:

>I'm sorry, but as long as I have a say in what goes on our servers,
>Plone will never happen. The biggest piece of shit I've ever worked
>with.

...ahh, this is a very specific and useful statement as from most which are
complaining about something they did not really understand nor be skilled
with.

Shure, Plone could easily installed today initially or for demos, but running
larger productive sites take some more attention to the setup in detail and
understanding basic concepts of ZODB etc.. This is not magic, but not less
important.

There are companies run i.e. more then 10.000 "virtual" single to small
websites for free and paying users on a single installation with significant
load onto it, some famous web directories and business plattforms (i.e. south
africa) from companies fully rely on their websites.

In LAMP typical bottlenecks are database connectivity, memory management
(there is no real in PHP), detailed ressource management, full oo caching
mechs, a full transparent authentication subsystems and powerful sessionings,
transactions, oo database - things are just not or nearly possible with the
typical PHP apps today around, at least with some Perl or Python Frameworks,
in parts by Rails.

Handling a host full of user installed php webapps could be a real mess from
a security view and there are even "php firewalls" required to block at least
some of the easiest attacks, except youre havin no prob to be a spam exploder
or similiar.

Just take some looks onto the well known it security lists how often serious
to highly serious security flaws / holes got known nearly each day within the
php web apps and the php stack itself. This has reasons by design.

cheers,

Niels.

cheers,

Niels.