discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000

  • From: Julian De Marchi <julian AT jdcomputers.com.au>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Never mind the 1,000, target the 1,000,000,000
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:25:15 +1000

On 22/02/12 16:04, Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet) wrote:
> ...ahh, this is a very specific and useful statement as from most which are
> complaining about something they did not really understand nor be skilled
> with.

I've now had a chance to look at Plone. I am very happy with what I have
seen so far. I enjoyed the freedom it gave me in the page creation
aspect over Joomla!. Plus it looks professional out off the box. However
this is as far as I divulged into Plone.

I noticed it is a very heavy system. Heavy for me is the RAM and CPU it
consumed. This is a concern to me at this point in time. The main and
only server OpenNIC actually rents is ns0.opennic.glue. This box is a
linode sponsored by myself with 512MB of memory. It handles the current
site no issues, but I'm afraid with Plone it will just kill this server
and suck at performance.

In my evaluation, a dedicated server for Plone is required with a
minimum 4GB of memory. My basic observations are:

A non-loaded Plone site idling chews 70MB of Resident memory. When some
browsing of pages are done by 2 users the Python process sits anywhere
from 5% - 120% CPU usage.

The OpenNIC current website uses 50MB of Resident memory spread across 4
apache2 process's as apache does thread. With 10 users browsing the
site, the processes consume no more then 2% CPU.

So - Yes Plone does out weigh PHP sites, you pay for it in terms of
resource commitment. Commitment OpenNIC does not have at this present time.

We know the solution to this problem. Fund raise, but to fund raise, we
need to an NPO status. That's not going to occur soon.

Being in the position I am, I need to make the right choice. Based on
OpenNICs current resources, the choice is not to use Plone at this
_point_ in time. I'd like you to respect this choice. If you'd like to
continue this conversation, please do so in private emails with myself,
we've had enough noise on the list.

Considering the actually needs of the OpenNIC website, I think WP will
actually suit the cause. Our needs are basic. Security _can_ be
hardened, no matter what peoples thoughts are on PHP. But the decision
will ultimately come after trials of very software solutions. The
solution needs to:

- Support voting like Joomla!
- Allow news articles, guides and knowledge-base
- Allow user submissions of articles and guides
- Social media interactions

--julian