discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Wizard build on OS X

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Wizard build on OS X

  • From: Mike <mike AT pikeaero.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Wizard build on OS X
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 19:34:02 -0500

Amrit,

This wizard we're discussing, is designed to continually
attempt to find the most appropriate OpenNIC resolvers
automatically in the background.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opennicwizard

And speaking of that, now that a more or less stable release
candidate is out (0.3.rc1) I am focusing my attention more
on the logic behind resolver selection...making it smarter in other words.

Currently it's not terribly bright. It blindly trusts whatever IP
addresses it digs up to be able to resolve OpenNIC domains, and gives
the most weight to those with low latency time, and also immediately
shoots down an active resolver upon a single packet timeout.

The reason that it is a little brain dead is because the only history
that I'm storing on a per-resolver basis is the latency, other than that
I'm just storing the state of the most recent query. So it simply just
does not know enough to make well informed decisions.

The next release (0.3.rc2) will see a queue of all the query stats on
each resolver N levels deep, where N is adjustable.

So now we can know everything that's been happening lately on a per
resolver basis so theoretically make more intelligent decisions.

In addition, this next release will observe a differentiation between
OpenNIC domains and ICANN domains. They are currently all jumbled
together, and the resolver test randomly selects one and then all it
cares about was if it was resolved or not.

This next release will keep tabs on opennic resolution vs icann (or any
other nic) resolution and will add that to the history of the ersolver
and will be considered in the "score" of a resolver.

So the resolvers will now be weighted by what I'll term a "score" which
is a compilation of it's recent availability, latency, and ability to
resolve opennic domains.

The remainder of the upcoming 0.3.rc2 release will be mostly identical
to 0.3.rc2 with the exceptions as I've just outlined.

So if you think you might have some input on the scoring system, or
anything relating to what I just talked about...I am coding it now, so
now is the time....

--Mike