discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC website

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC website

  • From: Richard Lyons <richard AT the-place.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC website
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 19:59:43 +0100

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 14:29:58 -0400, Jon Hebb wrote:

> Can I ask what's wrong with the current adopted OpenNIC logo? As seen on
> http://wiki.opennicproject.org/HomePage (it is not on our main website as
> of current)

There are two logos shown there. the i-in-a-swirl which also appears as
favicon, and the logo in the centre (which on chrome renders half
overlapping text in the right column). I personally do not rate either
very highly, the former looks muddled and the latter, to which I assume
you refer, has a sad little check where the "c" looks as though it has
been extended slightly clumsily. I also find the design a bit slack and
would criticise it for appearing to refer to the traditional @ sign,
which is really in modern use entirely related to email in most people's
minds, and for concentrating on 'nic' in preference to 'open'.

However, I only started doodling other ideas following the earlier
discussion about the big shiny logo on the new site opennicproject.org
(incidentally that site enforces the spurious www subdomain). I agreed
that this new logo was too big but also thought it too stuffy, more like
a minor motor manufacturer from 1980. So I did a bit of sketching, and
posted my thoughts. I am happy to put in a bit more work if people want
it, and I believe the previous designs were weak, but I am not pushing
the idea.

richard