discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] TOR and OpenNIC

Re: [opennic-discuss] TOR and OpenNIC

  • From: <woodq11 AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] TOR and OpenNIC
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:14:08 -0500

Ah. Tor doesn't actually route UDP traffic in general. Just TCP traffic.

As such, DNS lookups are done through a SOCKS proxy and passed to the exit
node, or via a special option in Tor, a DNS listener.

For the same reason, filesharing and some types of videoconferencing
applications (which are connectionless UDP by design) won't work securely with
Tor.

I block all UDP on my machine when using Tor, with the exception of port 53
which I redirect to Tor's DNS listener.

Hope that helps explain why, currently, what you're asking for isn't possible.
I suppose exit nodes could be configured to allow circuits to state DNS
servers to query, but I think that example would provide a security risk ala
DNS servers that responded with specially-designed arbitrary code overflows
etc. So it may not ever be possible.