discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD requests - philosophy behind TLD's

Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD requests - philosophy behind TLD's

  • From: "JP Blankert (Thuis PC)" <jpblankert AT zonnet.nl>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Cc: "Aaron J. Angel" <thatoneguy AT aaronjangel.us>, "JP Blankert (thuis PC)" <jpblankert AT zonnet.nl>, berlin AT multiwebsphere.com
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD requests - philosophy behind TLD's
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 01:31:39 +0100

It is interesting to think about philosphy behind TLD's.

I am Occupy-er as well, and I am worried so many people are shut out of the world. I was mass-layed off at 36, could not find a job, got depressed, organised things, started for myself on several topis, especially internet, and now (48) I do well with several companies.

I see internet as a way to orientate one self on the world - so that is why wikipedia is very good, regardless of your background you can 'get there', to the 'truth'.

What I also like about internet: whatever your background or age, you can participate and start a movement or company.

A lack of good domain names left, shuts out newcomers: younger people.....or elder people that got fired and are not taken on anymore (Netherlands: with 25 you have difficulties getting a job because of 'nog experience', 28-30 years is ideal, 35 = old, getting a new job after 35 (on 1/4 of career!) is very hard) -> that is why I find that internet should offer a very low threshold for people to participate.

Social media improve things: a facebook page is for free and with good content and marketing you can make a living. But still, there should be enough TLD's for everyone.

THAT IS WHY I woud propate one, or more, internet authorities that are fairly easy in launching new extensions.

Registration of names to do nothing and just block exploitation and waiting to resell a name should be discouraged to the max I find

One complicating factor is that people are too eager to get a new extension, when I see the waiting rows for Icann, and people totally forget IDN. The most beautiful generic domain names are there for grabs, nobody buys.

SO the starting point should be: room for everybody, everybody should have chance to have a chair at the swimmingpool. But discourage people laying towels on chairs just to reserve them, but not using them and thus blocking other people.

Once there are enough TLD's so all who want can participate on the web (and not have to go to five-word-domain-names), people are free to choose what they want to do on the web. Profit maximalisation, of not for profit, or charity, or 'just making a normal living'.

TLD's are important because they rank wordwide, ccTLD's rank only within the country and language where you are. That is something what you cannot test in large USA but easily in Europe, cross the border from NL to BE to GE and Google rankings totally change as soon as 100 meters across the border. The amount of people prepared to accept non-motherlanguage English as main language increases, so I think more and more people when they go on the web, want to reach everybody in the world, based on a THEME. A minority wants to focus on a locality, like a geographic place or specific language.

A phantasy question: how many TLD's do we need so everybody in the world could have a web based business? Very rough calculation....an adult uses appr. a vocabulary of 2000 words. Let us assume that all must be in English and Latin script. Than 1 TLD gives room for 2000 1-word-domainnames and 4 million 2-word domain names (2000 squared; I admit, not all random 2 word combinations make sense - more a very rough order of magintude estimation). Round it off, out of 8 billion people on earth, 4 billion want a web based business in latin script English, domain name max 2 current words. 4 million are provided by 1 TLD. So it means that 1.000 = thousand TLD's would satisfy all people on earth: every earner has 1 webbased business and 1 2 word TLD domain name. Currently, there are over 1.300 extensions worldwide....it is not too far away from the very rough 1000 I guessed. But of the 1300 only appr. 20 are TLD's, the rest ccTLD's or even worse, subdomains (like kiev.ua). Of course some people register 1000 names and don't do anything with it, whilst others are too poor to buy a decent domain name and can therefore get no edge in the internetworld. Because some people are very greedy and occupate 'all te webground and do nothing with it' others are excluded from participating, and for those who are excluded, new TLD's would be nice....if they are not bulkwise registered first by the already richest people...

Sorry to bother you with phantasy, I let it sink in and come back another time with a compact statement.

Goodnight,

Philippe Blankert - 12 nov 2012