discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD requests

Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD requests

  • From: "Aaron J. Angel" <thatoneguy AT aaronjangel.us>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD requests
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:38:30 -0500

On 11/12/2012 04:08 PM, mike wrote:
> This is why I am saying, why not move those kind of commercial leaning
> activities into a second entity that's more geared toward doing
> commercial activities, and just leave OpenNIC the way it is? Shielding
> OpenNIC from the whole commercial liability issue all together.

Perhaps I misunderstood. The origin of this thread seemed to lean more
toward operational funding than commercializing TLDs. From the
project's mission statement, it seems we aren't too keen on the
production of revenue, but what, exactly, that means is unclear.
Raising funds is an attempted to generate revenue, whether motivated by
profit or not.

> Until this is nailed down, I think it would be prudent that the
> OpenNIC collective refrain from promoting the idea of contracting with
> it's members for OpenNIC related services. I guess that's my core
> point in all this.

Given the unregistered status of OpenNIC, I would agree. It's hard to
do business with a business that isn't a business.