discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: Travis McCrea <me AT travismccrea.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 01:06:55 -0500

Hey guys,
I don't want to cause drama or publicaly call anyone out, but when the
website was being designed I approached multiple people who were working on
the "secret project" and asked to be the one to design the new site. I tried
to tell them about all these flaws that you guys suggested below and said
that the site still looked like it was developed by engineers instead of by
people who understand design.

I was told (basically) to back off and that there was already a person
working on it and apparently they wanted to meet a self-set deadline or
something. I don't know but the point is that I was specifically told not to
get involved. Which was frustrating, but I also like being a cog in the wheel
and if other people think that they know better -- who am I to judge.

However, now that it seems that we are all in agreement of my initial
complaints... let me make some suggestions to get the site going:

1) Let's start the theme based on
http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/responsive I was thinking at first to base
it off a bootstrap theme, which also would be cool, but realistically
"Responsive" does everything we need out of the box and looks nice.

2) Let's integrate the functionality of useopennic.org into
OpenNic-Project.org the source code for useopennic.org is freely available
(https://bitbucket.org/teamcoltra/useopennic).

3) Let's use the wordpress functionality to be blogging about notable
websites which are using OpenNIC. This boosts user engagement and let's
people find websites that are using OpenNIC something that I think a new user
wants to see.

I don't have anything to add on the wiki issue but this:

I don't want to be disrespectful to Brian, he has been around much longer
than I have and has way more experience than me. However, if the barrier to
entry on our current wiki system is too great that people are not using it,
and switching to mediawiki or something would fix that -- we cannot allow one
person to have god like authority.

"I maintain it, and I'm not going to go through the learning curve of another
wiki."

This feels really insulting to the way we do things at OpenNIC, we are a
team. We can't expect you to keep maintaining the wiki if you don't want to
-- but to make it seem like it's simply not something that can be discussed
because you are comfortable with the current system(and did not even provide
valid reasons for us needing the current wiki, outside of you not wanting to
work with another wiki system).

I don't have another suggestion, I don't even know if the current wiki is the
problem -- or if it is just that people don't like to edit wikis. My problem
is the idea that we can't have a debate on the topic, or that one member
tries to imply that.

Hopefully I am not offending anyone, if people want my help building ONIC 3.0
then I will gladly take part. <3